Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Decision Time

I was working on the GMC last night and came across something that may completely change the direction I take with the interior restoration. I removed an indoor thermometer that was stuck to the vacuum hose cabinet. Underneath was a bit of the original green. The original green is much brighter than the green that is showing. It looks like some previous owner went over the original green with shellac or something that has yellowed substantially. Upon further investigation it turns out the counter and cabinets in the galley received the same treatment. This means that if I want an original interior, I will have to refinish the counters and cabinets. At that point it would be easier to replace them. If I am replacing them, why not upgrade the counter. I have always been a big fan of Corian (or knock off) counter tops. I like how they are repairable, impervious, and workable. If I can find a composite counter top in a shade of green that closely resembles the original green I will proceed with my goal of keeping the interior as close to original in appearance as possible. If not, then I may do an interior that is much more modern. We will have to see how this plays out.

Next up, an issue that is a little too close for comfort, Middle Aged Spreading.

No comments:

Post a Comment