Thursday, October 8, 2009

Engine design

I am currently doing research on modifications that I would like to make to the Oldsmobile 455 engine in the GMC. I am very interested in fuel injection. Ideally I would like to go with multi-port injection, but I may only be able to afford a throttle-body set up. I have also been reading about the Coop Kryptonite cam shaft. I am not sure if I can buy the camshaft alone or if it available only as part of the Coop engine (which is too pricey right now). It may work out to bring the torque with the multi-port (fuel rail) alone if the camshaft is too pricey. Save here- gain there. I wish I could afford both the cam and the multi-port but oh well. The current camshaft needs to go as it is a flat tappet, which will require additives in order to function that may not be around for much longer. How the hell does someone go about picking a camshaft anyway. That is why I am hoping to get my hands on the Coop model, as they seem to know what they are doing (which I don't). I would like to plan my engine as soon as possible so that I know how long I will be having to eat Kraft dinner for. I also don't want to do this again for a long time, so I want to do it right. So research, research, research!

A whole different approach would be to go diesel. I am a big fan of diesel (it makes much more sense to me). I have seen on the net that there is a least one GMC'er that has converted to diesel. I wonder how he hooked that up to a front wheel drive transmission. I was thinking that the diesel pushers motorhomes being built now must have some sort of equivalent as the drive wheels and transmission are at the same end of the vehicle. I will have to try and track down this diesel GMC and see if i can find out how he did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment