Sunday, October 18, 2009

Let the Games Begin

So I started work on the GMC today. It appears that I am not the first person to go over this coach. I was told that I was the forth owner of TZE063V101511 (that's my VIN). It looks to me like the second owner (guess on my part) had the headliner redone. From the looks of it I would think that it was gone over in the 80's. I found some extra spray on foam on the ceiling. I know that it has been gone over because the original "snakebite" headliner is gone. The original headliner was cardboard and had tiny holes in pairs (hence snakebite). What I found was Masonite. When it was gone over, they didn't do a very good job on sealing the roof. The Masonite that was put up was rather easy to pull down because it was soggy. I am glad it was in bad shape because I was debating putting up Masonite, or Fiber Reinforced Plastic (FRP). The FRP is impervious to water (they use it for tub surrounds in cheap apartments), but goes for $27.00 for a 4'x8' sheet. The Masonite goes for $11.00 for a 4'x8' sheet. I was hoping to save some money here, but it looks like it will be well spent on the FRP in case there are any roof issues in the future. That was I wouldn't need to replace it after the leak was fixed.

So on to the pictures. Ever wonder what is underneath the ceiling of a 1973 GMC Motorhome? Well take a look.



This is looking Forward.












This is looking back.










I got the cabinets down, the wire run cover off and the ceiling down from the bedroom forward. The end cap in front (above the drivers area) will need some work. There are some small cracks in it. I am going to try to repair them with a shower repair kit that I can pick up at the hardware store.

No comments:

Post a Comment