Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Why I chose to restore a GMC

So as you can see from the pictures from the previous post, the outside the GMC needs a lot of work. The inside, as you will see soon, is even worse. So why take on a project like this? Well, when I went looking for an RV about 4 years ago, I came across a nice working, clean model of a GMC. I had looked at a bunch of class C RV's (Van front end with a sleeper over the cab) and a couple Class As' (Bus type). The GMC was the coolest motorhome I had ever seen, and I fell in love. I thought long and hard about it. We had narrowed our choice down to the GMC and a 1989 Fleetwood Bounder. The GMC was twice as much as the Bounder, which would have been tight, but we could have done. The final decision came down to the fact that we had never owned an RV before, and didn't want to screw up such a classic machine. So we bought the Bounder and got to work fixing it up. I always knew that I would take care of a GMC some day (I don't believe you own classic things like this, you take care of them for the next person to care for). After a bunch of mistakes (lessons) on how to care for an RV, I now feel like I can take care of a GMC. I found mine on E-Bay for cheap. I think there was just enough wrong with it that it scared most bidders off (or maybe I was just stupid enough to think I could fix it). So that's why.

2 comments:

  1. I am not sure it is natural to love a machine that much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It isn't. It is actually a sickness. You should hope you don't get it MR Playdoughlives.

    ReplyDelete